Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Sweet Celeriac Root Hash

Happy Sunday people. Today was an interesting and informational day for many reasons:

1. (I thought) I bought a rutabaga for today's recipe, and it turned out to be celeriac root (see recipe below) - such an interesting vegetable that I've never had before!
2. I stepped in a huge pile of dog sh*t on the street at the very end of my 5+ mile walk with Chris, and we discovered that it isn't that easy to clean a poop sneaker when you live in a city.
3. I practiced my qigong in the shower tonight which was awesome - I must warn you that it can be very dangerous when your feet are slippery while harvesting your qi ;)
4. The nutrients in a 1oz. shot of wheatgrass are equivalent to those in 2.5 cups of green vegetables... I still haven't tried it yet, but I think this will be my next experiment. 

I have been loving all of the winter root vegetables, so I tried to get creative this morning. I created this sweet and savory breakfast hash and threw a dollop of it on top of a spinach and mushroom frittata. The final picture didn't come out too beautifully, but it tasted fantastic. The recipe below will serve two people, and you can make a really delicious mash with the leftover half of the celeriac root. It is an awesome potato substitute with way more flavor and great nutrients.

Ingredients:
- 1/2 celeriac root, peeled & shredded
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled & shredded
- 1 small apple, peeled & diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- Olive oil
- sea salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste

Instructions:
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat
2. Add diced onions and cook for about 5 minutes until soft
3. Add shredded celeriac, sweet potato, and apple (use a cheese grater or food processor for these)
4. Season with a little sea salt, pepper, and garlic powder
5. Cook for 15-20 minutes until it fully cooks through and gets a little crisp like hash browns. I stirred it quite a bit at first but then let it sit for a few minutes at a time so the bottom would brown.
6. Serve on top of your favorite frittata or topped with poached eggs.


   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment