Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Perfect Veggie Quiche

I'M BACK! I hope you haven't missed me too much over these past two weeks. I had quite the traveling adventure visiting so many of my favorite people for the holidays. After bouncing from house to house in CT, I headed up to Vermont for almost a week. I had to work for some of it, but I have no complaints. Apparently Waitsfield got close to five feet of snow over the week we were there, and I had the most beautiful views from the house while I worked. The fire was going nonstop every day, and I got in some great skiing over the weekend. I also visited an amazing natural food store called Sweet Pea that had an unbelievable selection of paleo-friendly foods. I was a bit under the weather for most of the trip, so I loaded up on echinacea teas, fresh-pressed organic green juices, and a few treats like trailmix and "nut buddies". 

  

When I finally got back to Boston I was dying to get back in the kitchen and whip up some delicious home-cooked meals. I have plenty of material to share now, and I am starting up with a delicious vegetable quiche. You can feel free to switch up the veggies, add meat (or cheese if you do that), and get creative. This recipe is very simple and came out so well. I have had a few quiche recipes that are a bit too moist/watery, and this one cooked perfectly in exactly 30 minutes. Enjoy the leftovers for breakfast the next day!

Ingredients:
Crust
- 1.5 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. dried onion (or onion powder)
- 2 tsp. parsley

Filling
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 10 white mushrooms, chopped
- 1 bag spinach
- 4 eggs
- Sea salt & pepper 

Instructions: 
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix all crust ingredients in a small mixing bowl until dough forms
3. Press the dough into the pie dish working it into the dish so it fills out the full pan
4. Bake for 15 minutes until lightly brown and set aside to cool
5. Heat olive oil for filling over medium heat
6. Add onion, shallot, and garlic to oil and cook for about 10 minutes until lightly browned
7. Add mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes
8. Add spinach and cook for another 5+ minutes until some of the liquid cooks off
9. Whisk eggs in a bowl and then add veggie mixture and S&P
10. Pour filling into the crust and bake for 30 minutes
11. Let sit at least 10-15 minutes before slicing


  


1 comment:

  1. Amaze balls. Put an egg in the crust and added sausage and green peppers and 2 extra eggs to the filling. So good!

    ReplyDelete