Pages

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Spinachy Egg Nests

The day has finally come! Tonight is the first PaleOMG cooking class in Boston. I signed up for both nights because 1. I'm obsessed, and 2. I couldn't choose between sweet and savory (shocker). I can't wait to meet Juli, see what recipes we are going to make, and make some more paleo friends in Boston. I will try to snag some great pictures, and I'll be sure to post about both classes over the weekend. 

On another note, last weekend I had a crazy stomach reaction after going out to eat - it reminded me of the pre-paleo days. Pretty sure I had some gluten and dairy by mistake, and I was feeling sick, bloated, and sluggish. I decided to try a one-day juice cleanse to load up on organic veggies and clear out the toxins in my system. I tried the BluePrint cleanse because they are sold at Whole Foods now. It was $58 for the day which is pretty great compared to other brands on the market. I went with the Foundation Cleanse which is the "intermediate" level. I am so used to green juice now, and I actually loved it. They are so filling, and since it took me almost an hour to finish each bottle, I never once had food cravings in the entire day (definitely not my typical situation). The cashew milk at the end of the day was such a good treat and tasted like a rich milkshake. I felt so amazing and energized all day, and I woke up the next morning feeling completely rejuvenated. I had to get back to real food, so I made these spinach egg nests and a popcorn shoot salad. A guy at the farmers market convinced me to buy these shoots because he promised the flavor was as sweet and complex and he was. He was right - these shoots have such an insanely sweet flavor, and the taste changes as you chew them. I threw on some avocado and blueberries to make a "salad" - it was a bizarre combo but nice to switch it up. Definitely try these micro-shoots next time you're at the market - it is like a mix between alfalfa sprouts and kettle corn popcorn, and you'd need to taste it to believe it!

Spinachy Egg Nests Serves 1, Prep time: 5 min, Cook time: 10 min

Ingredients:
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- sea salt & pepper to taste

Instructions:
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat
2. Cook spinach with salt, pepper, and garlic powder until soft
3. Make two holes/nests for the eggs, and crack the eggs in the holes
4. Cover the pot, turn the heat to low (2-3), and cook for about 5 minutes (+/- depending on your egg preference)



1 comment:

  1. I love this! A little play on the regular birds nest! I'll have to give this one a try.

    ReplyDelete