I have decided that I need to create at least one soup for every color of the rainbow, so today's creation is a beautiful orange concoction. The flavors in this are absolutely incredible, and the recipe couldn't be easier. I would've added cinnamon as well, but I keep forgetting to restock when I go to the store. If I haven't convinced you to buy an immersion blender yet, go buy one! This is the one I have http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=13485062 (thanks Mom!), and it is perfect. If you don't want/need all of the attachments, you can pay a bit less just for the blender itself. It's the holidays people - make it happen!
2012 is winding down, and I don't know about all of you, but I have had the most complicated/transitional year of my entire life. It isn't over yet, and while I reflect on all that happened and all that will come, I plan on curling up in my favorite chair and eating a bowl of this beautiful soup. Soup therapy always does the trick... enjoy!
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 large sweet onions, chopped
- 2+ Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 6-7 large carrots, peeled & chopped- 1 quart low sodium organic vegetable broth (I use Pacific)
- 1 can low fat coconut milk (I use Trader Joes - only ingredients are coconut milk and water)
- Fine sea salt & pepper to taste
1. Heat oil over medium heat in a large soup pot
2. Add onions, garlic, sea salt, and pepper and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often
3. Add sweet potatoes and carrots and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes
4. Add vegetable stock and bring to a boil
5. When it boils, cover the pot, and let simmer over low heat for 30 minutes
6. Let the soup cool for a few minutes
7. Using the immersion blender (or whatever else you have), blend the soup until thick and smooth
8. Add the can of coconut milk and stir until well combined
9. Top with some toasted (unsweetened) coconut flakes if you'd like!