Pages

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Mexican Chicken Crockpot Soup

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I LOVE PaleOMG. Juli Bauer writes the blog, and while she doesn't know it yet, we know someone in common. She also doesn't know that Colorado is tied for my favorite state (neck and neck with California!). I am reallyyy hoping that I can make it to the PaleoFX Symposium in March so I can meet the amazing paleo presenters (including Juli), see what all the great vendors have to offer, meet some awesome new paleo friends, and explore Austin since I've never been. 

After catching up on my PaleOMG reading this morning after returning from some travel, I got inspired to create a slightly tweaked crockpot version of Juli's Chicken Tortilla Soup. It turned out to be a perfect dinner for the nasty weather. Granted it was so spicy that I sweat profusely the entire time while eating, but I am certain it was worth it. Luckily my shower was planned for after dinner, so no harm done there. I will make sure to eat the leftovers in my standard blow-drying outfit (light-weight robe with ice packs in all of the pockets to keep my body temperature down - and no, this is not a joke). I can promise this soup will keep you nice and toasty during the first snow of the season. Enjoy!

Ingredients:

1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1/2 giant shallot (or 1 normal shallot)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 lbs chicken breast (fresh or frozen)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (use less if you don't own a blow-drying outfit...)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 (4oz) can diced green chiles
- 1 (28oz) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 32 oz of broth (I used organic low sodium veggie broth)
- sliced avocado and chopped tomato, to garnish 

Instructions:
1. Arrange chopped onion, shallot, and red pepper on the bottom of the crockpot
2. Put raw chicken on top (mine was frozen)
3. Add cumin, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and lime on top of the chicken
4. Add green chilis, fire roasted tomatoes, and broth
5. Cook on high for 4 hours (or low 6-8)
6. Remove the chicken, shred it, and return it to the crockpot
7. Serve a bowl with sliced avocado and fresh chopped tomatoes (the extra tomatoes were a last-minute idea to help cut the spice a bit)
8. You can also add cilantro if you remember - I didn't!

  


2 comments:

  1. Your blowdrying outfit is the best thing i've ever read. I get so hot drying my hair, i prepare by cranking the ac up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The AC is never enough for me! I highly recommend the body armor made of ice packs :)

      Delete