Pages

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Parsnip Fries a.k.a. Parsnipples


I love Spring. I don’t think I could be any happier about the warm weather and the bright colors everywhere. I dusted off my bike on Monday after a long (2+ year?) hibernation. I remember when Mal and I used to bike 12-15 miles every morning before work up the steepest hills in Stamford, and it feels like a lifetime ago. I am dabbling with the idea of training for a triathlon this year for some added motivation with my workouts. It has been four crazy years since my last race, and I would love to get back into it and beat my time now that I am an old lady. I will never forget that dreaded “swim” flailing for my life like a lunatic in open water – I would have to think things could only improve after that ridiculous performance. I will share my training plan (once it exists) and keep you posted on my progress.

I am thrilled to announce that I am almost 50% through my kickstarter campaign, and my project has surpassed its initial funding goal and is climbing over $11,000. The outpouring of support has been incredible, and I am so excited to continue the momentum and pre-sell as many copies of the cookbook as possible. I am just over 130 backers, and I hope to get over 200 by the end of the month! You can pre-order a copy of the cookbook and check out the campaign at http://kck.st/1fMYQDo. Huge shout out to my photographer Erica Gannett who has created gorgeous images for the cookbook and campaign. Check it out!

Today’s recipe is a staple in my kitchen: parsnipples. I really have no idea where this name comes from, but I am pretty sure we can blame Ryan for it. Parsnipples (or parsnip fries) are one of the easiest roasted vegetables to make, and they come out incredibly every single time. The sweet/salty flavor combination is irresistible, and they go great with every meal. I am making less and less roasted veggies these days as the weather gets warmer and I turn to salads, but this is a great staple to always keep in your back pocket.


Parsnip Fries: Serves 2, Prep time: 5 min, Cook time: 20-25 min

Ingredients:
- 2 parsnips
- 1 Tbsp (or less) olive oil
- Sea salt, pepper, and garlic powder

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Peel your parsnips and slice them into pieces that look like your favorite french fries
3. Arrange the pieces on a foil-lined baking sheet
4. Spray or lightly toss the parsnips with olive oil 
5. Season with sea salt, pepper, and garlic powder
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning once

No comments:

Post a Comment