Pages

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Sweet & Salty Fried Plantains

Today marks a huge day in history folks. When I was watering my beloved carrots this morning, I saw about 15 tiny little sprouts of green sticking up through the soil. It turns out that I may just have a green thumb after all! I have lasted over 10 days without digging them up to view (and ruin) any progress, and the patience has paid off. I think 2013 is the year of patience for me; I always knew that good things come to those who wait, but I always say that patience is a virtue that I don't have. Planting a garden is a perfect experiment for me, because I couldn't be more excited to make a meal with home-grown food. I am learning to package up that excitement and distract myself and enjoy my life in the meantime as I wait for 70 slow days for mature carrots! 

Since my patience is being tested in so many aspects of my life this year, sometimes I just need a quick fix! Tonight's recipe is the perfect example. This recipe is simple, quick, and delicious. You can buy the pre-made plantain chips from whole foods, but 1) they aren't as good as homemade, and 2) there is just no way to buy them without eating the whole tub (I dare you). With this recipe you can make as little as a few slices or as many to feed a hungry group of friends at your next party. Either way, you can't go wrong, and you will be going back for more!

Sweet & Salty Fried Plantains: Serves: Varies, Prep time: 5 min, Cook time: 5 min

Ingredients:
- Yellow Plantain(s)
- Coconut oil
- Fine sea salt and pepper

Instructions:
1. Heat coconut oil over medium-high heat
2. Peel and slice plantains to desired thickness
3. Add plantains into hot oil and season lightly with salt and pepper
4. Cook for 2 minutes
5. Flip plantains and re-season with salt and pepper
6. Cook for another 2 minutes and then remove onto a dish with paper towel to drain
7. Eat up because they won't last!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment