The first major change had to be breakfast. No baked goodies with almond flour, and no omelets/casseroles/quiches. The good news is that this recipe creation turned out absolutely amazing. The flavors were perfect for breakfast, and I loved the color combination.
I have a few posts on deck that will be posted in the next week with some newly forbidden ingredients (almond flour, chicken, etc.), but after those are shared I will be sharing my new adventures in the kitchen according to these new guidelines. I am determined to prove that I can still make beautiful and delicious food even with the new restrictions. Best of luck to me and all of my other nut, egg, and chicken-free paleo friends out there!
Breakfast Mash Bowl: Serves 4-6, Prep time: 15 min, Cook time: 20 min
- 4 small sweet potatoes
- 1 lb grass-fed ground beef
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. garlic
- 1 lb. mini portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1 large bunch kale, stems removed & chopped
- sea salt & pepper (optional)
1. Bake or steam your sweet potatoes. To bake, poke holes in the potatoes, wrap in foil, and bake at 375 degrees for one hour. To steam, cut into chunks and steam for 10 minutes.
2. Cook ground beef over medium heat until cooked through
3. Drain excess fat from the beef, and then set the beef aside
4. Use the same pan to cook the onions and garlic until soft (about 10 minutes)
5. Add the portobello mushrooms and cook another 5 minutes
6. Add back the meat and the kale and cook for 2-3 minutes until kale cooks down
7. Mash the sweet potatoes (one in each bowl), and then drop a scoop of the veggie/meat mixture in the middle
8. Add salt and pepper to taste if desired
9. Enjoy your new and improved breakfast!