Tonight's recipe is the result of my fridge running low last week. I threw the last few ingredients from the farmers market together and made some soup. I totally forgot about it while it was simmering, so it really wasn't soup when all was said and done. The good news is that the longer you cook the beets and sweet potatoes, the sweeter it becomes. The kale is a nice added twist, and the flavors are incredible together. Bon appetit!
Beet Red Soup w/ Sweet Potatoes & Kale Serves 2, Prep time: 10 min, Cook time: 1 hour
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium beet, peeled & chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled & chopped
- 1 qt. low sodium organic vegetable broth or stock
- 1 bunch kale
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat
2. Add onions and garlic, and cook for at least 10 minutes until soft and lightly browned
3. Add chopped beets and sweet potatoes and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often
4. Add vegetable stock, bring pot to a boil, and then lower to low heat
5. Cook on low heat for 30 min - 1 hr. I cooked mine for over an hour (by mistake) and it turned into an amazing soup/side dish with very little liquid because it all got absorbed
6. Remove the stems from the kale, break it into 1-inch pieces, and then add it to the soup
7. Cook for an additional 5 minutes and then serve. The longer you cook it, the sweeter it will be!