Pages

Monday, October 22, 2012

Green Power Soup w/ Kale & Cauliflower

It has been a few days (sorry), and I am back in action. I was in NYC for the weekend walking the 40-mile Avon walk for breast cancer with my mom, my aunt, and the rest of our "flock". We had an awesome weekend walking everywhere from the Intrepid, Harlem, Brooklyn, Randall's Island, and everywhere in between. Highs of the weekend were:

  1. Signing the dedication banner at opening ceremonies (see below) to remind myself why I walk
  2. Spending the weekend chatting and laughing with two of my favorite people with great visits along the way from friends and family
  3. Saying "Helloooo Newman" when we ran into the real Newman from Seinfeld on the street
  4. Taking a hot shower in a truck and wearing my headlamp around the tent
  5. Maintaining 100% paleo throughout the weekend (special thanks to Steve's Original!) even though I ate a can of wild salmon and cashews when everyone else was eating warm oatmeal and hot chocolate for breakfast
  6. Realizing that no amount of blisters, armpit chafing (gross, I know), or sore legs will stop me from continuing to support such an important cause - I am already signed up for 2013!
  7. Finding an amazing hot pink barbell at the campsite so I could get in a few crossfit moves before curling up in my sleeping bag 

   

Even though I was able to eat 100% paleo over the past five days while I was gone, I was dying to get back to my kitchen to cook some fresh, homemade meals. I will be posting all week to make up for lost time, but today's first concoction was a souper healthy dish full of vitamins and nutrients (that joke is for you, Uncle Bill!). I was feeling rundown from the travel and exhaustion, so I wanted a green power soup to bring me back to basics. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 sweet onions, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. garlic, chopped
- 2 leeks, chopped (I ditch about an inch from the top and bottom first)
- 16 oz. portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 2 bunches kale, stems removed
- 2 quarts vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp. dried parsley (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. dried basil (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste

Instructions:
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat in large soup pot
2. Add onion, shallot, and, garlic, and heat until soft (5-10 minutes)
3. Add leeks and mushrooms and cook another 5-10 minutes
4. Add cauliflower, kale, broth, dried herbs if using, salt, and pepper
5. Bring the pot to a boil, and when boiled, lower heat to medium-low (I did 3), cover, and cook for 30 minutes
6. Check to make sure the cauliflower is soft. If so, turn off heat, and let soup slightly cool for 10 minutes
7. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup in the pot. If you don't have an immersion blender, buy one! If you don't want to buy one, you can work this into your blender or food processor in batches to blend.
8. Season with any additional salt, pepper, and/or herbs as needed

  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment